The Throne of God
Revelations 4 and 5
In her Bible Study on Revelations, Beth Moore, passionately reads and discusses Chapters 4 and 5 of the great book of Revelations. With her encouragement, my imagination came alive and I began to envision what the Apostle John was describing in his vision. Beth asked us to draw out the vision that was coming alive in our imaginations, in our mind’s eye. With crude pencil strokes I began a feeble attempt to draw the magnificent scene. This simple drawing remains in my Bible today and reminds me of The Throne Room of God – A Sight to Behold in Awe.
From the time I studied Revelations under the passionate and humble teachings of this beautiful Christian speaker/teacher, these two chapters of Revelations have been some of my favorite scripture passages. When I begin my quiet time, I often pull out the child-like, pencil drawing and reflect on the vision I see –
- God sitting on His Throne in Heaven
- He looks like jasper and sardius stone (ruby or red jasper) in appearance (brilliant, bright, shining)
- An emerald rainbow surrounds His Throne
- 24 smaller thrones surround His Throne, with 24 elders sitting there clothed in white robes with crowns of gold, harps, and golden bowls holding each of our prayers
- Lightnings, thunders and voices are heard coming from the God’s Throne
- 7 lamps of fire, the Seven Spirits of God, are burning before God
- The beautiful Crystal Sea flows in front of God’s Throne – I can see it’s beautiful sparkle. It glistens in blinding brilliance
- There are 4 creatures in front and around the Throne – interesting and unique creatures – one is like a lion, another is like a calf, one has the face of a man, and the four soars like a flying eagle.
- Magnificent, wonderful flying creatures singly beautifully
“Holy, holy, holy,
Lord God Almighty,
Who was and is and is to come!”
- Simultaneously, the 24 elders, falling down in worship and casting the crowns before God are saying
“You are worthy, O Lord,
To receive glory and honor and power;
For You created all things,
And by Your will they exist and were created.”
- Jesus reaches for the Scroll sealed with 7 Seals and takes in out of the God’s hands. Only Jesus has the power to open this Scroll
- As Jesus opens the scroll the 4 flying creatures and the 24 elders bow down in worship before him. I hear harps and singing –
“You are worthy to take the scroll,
And to open its seals;
For You were slain,
And have redeemed us to God by Your blood
Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation,
And have made us kings and priests to our God;
And we shall reign on the earth.”
- More angels than I can count are singing in loud, melodious voices
“Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
To receive power and riches and wisdom,
And strength and honor and glory and blessing!”
- And all creatures in heaven, earth and sea are saying –
“Blessing and honor and glory and power
Be to Him who sits on the throne,
And to the Lamb, forever and ever!”
- The 24 elders are saying AMEN
It is now that I know I can humbly, oh so humbly, kneel before the throne of My Lord. It is now that I know that in raw awe, wonder, and praise that I know my heart is ready for pure, open worship of My Lord. All my cares are gone, my worries have vanished, sad tears have evaporated, my fears no more, all now consume and buried under the beauty of the Crystal Sea.
It is now that I truly know, am reminded, that each prayer praise and petition I make is placed in a gold bowl, held by one of the 24 elders, to be specifically and individually heard by My God through His Son Jesus. I can see Jesus now, selecting one of my prayers from a golden bowl and discussing it with God and then sending angels to carry out God’s directives to answer that prayer.
Yet, this beautiful vision, so beautifully and wonderfully described by John, will pale in the splendor and glory of seeing God’s Throne one day when He sends His angels to take me home to live in Heaven for Eternity. In the words of a wonderful old hymn – Oh What a Glorious Day That Will BE!!!
I urge you to read and meditate on Revelations 4 and 5.
Written by Marilyn Hoeth, 3/9/2013